the body go topmenu go

HOME > What's New> News & Notices

News & Notices

President Lee Myung-bak delivered the following New Year
Date : 2011.01.03 Read : 6925
Good morning, my fellow Koreans,

The New Year 2011, the Year of the Rabbit, has dawned full of hope.

During the past year, we had some difficulties to endure, but we experienced many more pleasing and rewarding events. The nation’s fortunes are on an upswing in the global arena.

Our young athletes succeeded in becoming the best in the world in the Vancouver Winter Olympics, the Guangzhou Asian Games and the FIFA U-17 and U-20 Women’s World Cups. We also achieved the highest economic growth among the OECD member countries. Despite hardships, we became the world’s seventh largest exporting nation. With the successful hosting of the G20 Seoul Summit, the Republic of Korea is now standing tall at the center of the global stage. Even though our land is small, our economic territory has become the largest in the world thanks to the conclusion of FTAs with the European Union and the United States. Korea has now emerged as a hub of free trade.

All these invaluable accomplishments can be ascribed to the painstaking efforts of all Korean people.

In the New Year of 2011, I am confident that we will be able to establish peace on the Korean Peninsula and continue sustained economic growth.

There is an old adage Ilgi Gaseong, meaning to complete something impeccably in a stroke. We should not let the chance to increase our national fortunes slip away; we must not hesitate to leap over the threshold to become an advanced country. I believe in the potential of the Korean people who always come together and turn crises into opportunities.

My fellow Koreans,

I wish you and all your relatives abundant happiness and success in all your endeavors.

Happy New Year.

Homepage : <a href="http://english.president.go.kr/pre_activity/speeches/speeches_view.php?uno=4594&amp;board_no=E03" target="_blank" title="New Window">http://english.president.go.kr/pre_activity/speeches/speeches_view.php?uno=4594&amp;board_no=E03</a>